The family of former Pol Lt-Colonel Sakda Changrua, who was found guilty more than two years ago of raping girls under 16 years of age, said yesterday that the police officer disappeared in the tsunami disaster on December 26.
The relatives made the claim and asked the Appeals Court to postpone its reading in the ruling against Sakda, another former policeman, Sergeant Anan Naksuk, and Waew Sukhnum, the woman convicted of soliciting the under-age girls for the two former policemen.
Sakda’s lawyer, acting on behalf of his family, asked for the court to reschedule the reading of the verdict by two months, claiming that Sakda could not be accounted for since the tsunami. They said Sakda had been working as a guide in Phuket when the tsunami hit.
The court agreed to postpone the reading of the verdict to March 24, saying two months would be too long.
The primary Criminal Court found the three guilty on December 19, 2002.
Waew was found guilty of soliciting girls from 13 to 15 years old to have sex with the two policemen and other customers on 16 different occasions and was initially sentenced to 240 years imprisonment. The court later reduced the jail term to 50 years.
Anan was found guilty of raping a 13-year-old girl and was sentenced to eight years in jail.
Sakda, the former deputy traffic police chief of Lumpini police station, was found guilty of molesting and raping under-age girls and sentenced to 18 years in jail.
The three were released on bail and have been fighting the case in the Appeals Court.
More aid approved
The government yesterday approved an additional budget of Bt1.5 billion for the six tsunami-hit provinces.
Deputy PM Suwat Liptapanlop, who chairs panels on victims’ assistance and decentralisation, said Bt1.2 billion would be injected via 198 projects in the provinces.
The remainder will go to local administrative organisations. – The Nation
Published on February 25, 2005